Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring Inside!

Spring is having a hard time springing here in Massachusetts. So, I have a lot of Amaryllis bulbs and this is the first one to bloom this year. This one is called "Apple Blossom" and is one of my favorites. My daughter gave this one to me for Christmas 2007. This blossom is 8" across and 8" high and is truly magnificent. This bulb has 2 scapes with 3 blossoms on one and 4 on the other. So these flowers will last for a couple of weeks.



This flower is on the back opposite of the first blossom.




This is the other stalk and has not started to open yet.




This is the first blossom without the flash on the camera.

I love these flowers and feel so fortunate to have such good luck with them. I have pollinated them and I have 14 red ones. I started about 10 years ago with one. It seems I can't have ONE of anything, it is my nature to have collections of stuff....hehe I won't do any more red ones, but I MUST pollinate this one, it is so beautiful. It takes about 3-5 years to find out what the flowers will look like, so it is a long process, and one must be patient. (And have lots of room for them.)
I'll be showing some pictures of the red ones when they start blooming.
'Til next time, Love ya, Jean

No comments: