Monday, September 24, 2012

Garden surprise...

A Praying Mantis on my Dwarf Alberta Spruce...


You can see how large it is...
about 5 or  6 inches long...


Ligularia with ferns...

Stream running into the pond...
Look closely at the frog spitter... so cute!

Close up of the goldfish...

Hosta in a pot...raised up to highlight it...

Old pot... to add interest...

My old ornamental cherry tree...
about 55 years old and in decline...
I will have to remove it within a few years...
I will keep it as long as possible,
I do not want to take it out!

Clockwise starting at bottom left...
Hellebores...
Sedum...
Lambs Ears...
Hostas...
Ferns...
Japanese Forest Grass...

I love my garden and it is a forty-something years work in progress.
A garden is never done, 
so one must love to garden for it to be successful.
I worked outside almost every day this summer, 
in mostly 90 degree temperatures, 
and I loved every minute of it.
Now,  I am thankful for more mellow temperatures,
and a change in the air.

I will be able to get back to posting more, now
that Fall and Winter are upon us, and I am inside more.

'Til next time,  Love ya,  Jean

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean, I have missed you! Such a very pretty garden and you are blessed to be able to work in it. Gardening was always a happy and thoughtful time for me.

Anonymous said...

LOVE your garden.
And the kid in all of us loves goldfish ponds!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

You have a lovely, happy garden. That praying-mantis is huge. I love the goldfish, your are so relaxing to sit and watch.

Unknown said...

Just beautiful Jean ... that mantis is HUGE! We have more dragon flies & mantis this year than I can ever remember ... but no ants this year again. So love ponds, love the gentle trickling of water.

Have a lovely week ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Lady Jane said...

Will you look at that praying mantis.... Wow.... Love ya girl. LJ

Beth said...

Hi Jean, Loved seeing your garden and pond. We don't often see praying mantis in our garden; what a treat to see yours! Your ligularia is pretty. Mine didn't bloom this year - just too hot and dry. Have a nice wknd!

traffictieup said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow! Your garden is like paradise. It has the best of everything. I can see that, that tree can be use during Christmas. With lights and Christmas balls, it would be a tree to reckon with.
artificial lawn

reginag said...

I missed my garden back home. I wish i have larger lawn.

gray hair

FabShabbyRoses said...

You have absolutely beautiful gardens. You must work very hard to keep them up so nicely!

peggy said...

I joined you today because I happened on your flower pictures. They are gorgeous! Can't wait for spring to come back to Michigan.