Friday, January 31, 2020

January is finished!

Wow!
Where did this whole month go?
It was just Christmas and New Year's celebrations!!!
I've been relaxing and taking time 
to reflect and appreciate all that I have.
we now have two new babies in the family.
They are my great grandchildren.
Grayson Edward and Everleigh May.
I had planned on showing pictures of them but,
I can't get the pics from my phone 
to upload to my computer.
I need one of my grandchildren to help me,  
so I need to wait 'til one of them are free...

So,  this is what I am working on now.
I started making this quilt about two years ago,
 and knew that it would be a long-term project.  
It might even be longer than that.  
Anyway,  I have started doing the hand quilting on it. 
 I saw a "new" method of  quilting 
called "big stitch" that appealed to me.  
Since I don't have room here to try to quilt this on my machine,
 and it wouldn't fit anyway,  I decided to do it this way...

So here it is on the end of my dining room table.
It's big...  86" square.

They say to start in the middle
and work your way out to the ends.

Here's a closeup of the patches.
 This is called a postage stamp quilt. 
The patches are cut at 2",  and finish up at 1 1/2".

This is a look at the stitches.
 I need to do them both ways, 
so the quilting ends up at
 approximately 5" square all over.

The tools that I am using...

I am using # 8 DMC cotton perle thread.
I will keep you posted on my progress.
I also have two pillow shams to do,
 when I get the quilt finished...

So now for some flowers...  (below)
My Amaryllis is blooming again.
So reliable every year.
Just like clockwork!
This one was growing on it's own
in a corner of my workroom.
 It couldn't wait for me to start watering it.
It started on it's own! 
Now I have an offshoot from the main bulb
that has flowered for the first time!
And these are the flowers from the "baby" bulb!






Here they are a day later! 
So big and beautiful!


This is the bud on the "mother" plant.
 Waiting to see how many flowers it has this year.


And my orchid flowers are back. 
They love this east window where they live.
So pretty...

The weather has been great here
in New England this winter. 
We've had snow a few times,
 but the ground is bare now
and temps are reasonable.
 So far,  so good! 
We do have February and March
to get through though!  haha 
Who knows what they will bring with them!
We will wait and see!

I am anticipating maple sugaring season,
 which will be coming up in about 2 or 3 weeks! 
I'm hoping for a lot of sap this year! 
The temps are about right now, 
but it's still a little too early.

So that's about it for now.  

I hope you have a lovely day,  
wherever you are!

'Til next time,
Love ya,  Jean

3 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

You surely must have a green thumb, for your plants, both inside and out, always seem to be putting on a show. Your amaryllis is oh-so-gorgeous. Isn't that shade of red just the most beautiful shade in the world? You have made great progress on your wonderful quilt. I am loving the quilting stitches!

Granny Marigold said...

Hello Jean, Thanks for visiting my blog. I see you have great luck with your Amaryllis and also the Orchids. I had a terrible time last year getting my Amaryllis to go dormant. After leaving them unwatered for 2 months I finally cut down the foliage and stuck them in the dark. Now one has lovely flowers and another one has buds. The others are sulking. I'm tempted to forget about drying them out next Fall and seeing what happens. If you have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Clara david said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com